Tuesday, October 04, 2005

Typo Tour: The Graham

I went on a Typo Tour around Melbourne on Sunday night, after attending a Typography Forum at Fed Square the night before. Organised by Stephen Banham of The Letterbox and Andrew Budge of Designland, the Tour was excellent; two bus loads of typeheads, taking in 26 typographic sites around Melbourne. The only problem was that it was held at night (to avoid traffic, I guess) and most of the sites would have been better viewed in daylight. So I didn't take any photos to post here while on the tour, but over the weeks to come I hope to go back to most of the sites and get some good shots.

Here's one of "The Graham", an old hotel on Swanston Street that closed down years ago, but whose signage remains. The building is now occupied by the Melbourne Sports Depot. Such a beautiful script, and such a beautiful canvas.


I love the name "The Graham" for a hotel. It reminds me of the greatly missed 'Gary' milk from a few years ago. A bold marketing idea that apprarently never clicked with the public and went the way of the late lamented Mars Milk. RIP. I tried to send a positive message to the manufacturers by buying as much Gary as possible, but it was too sweet, even for me, and I just couldn't keep it up.


I would have loved to have sipped a Gary at The Graham. Sadly, not to be.

1 comment:

Dagradon said...

another shocking yet poignant blog, by a true master of the genre.